In 2013, I left Facebook. Why? Isn't it a great way to connect with friends and family? Well, yes, it has been so enriching over the past five years to be able to reconnect with long lost friends and to stay connected to family. However, it has also become a disturbing presence in my life for at least these fve reasons:
1. Facebook has monetized family and friends relationships.
2. Facebook has melded public corporations with private interactions.
3. Facebook has inordinately added to the amount of information pollution that presently plagues us as a culture.
4. Facebook has damaged my impressions of my friends and family with its incessant new feed.
5. Facebook no longer gives me enough freedom to interact with friends and family without being interrupted by the impulses of consumer culture.